Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 taco shells, warmed
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute cabbage, pepper and onion until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Stir in beans, salsa, chilies, garlic, chili powder and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until flavors are blended, about 5 minutes.
- Serve in taco shells. Top with cheese and avocado.
Nutrition Facts2 tacos: 430 calories, 22g fat (5g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 770mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 10g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 29, 2014
Excellent! Very different for a meatless dinner.
Aug 15, 2014
Very tasty! Super quick and easy, too.We had whole wheat tortillas, so just warmed them and made soft tacos. Nice crunchy-ish filling with the cabbage.Will definitely make often!
Jan 21, 2013
Aug 16, 2010
I had no idea what to expect. We usually eat salad with taco hot sauce and some seasoning as "vegetarian tacos". These were far better and really much better than I ever imagined! Will definitely be making these again.