Spinach, Shrimp and Ricotta Tacos
I was looking for a new recipe for tacos, and this version was a perfect solution. With shrimp, green chiles, spinach and ricotta, it's made up of ingredients I love that aren't normally associated with traditional tacos. —Priscilla Gilbert, Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 carton (15 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp (31-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chiles
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 10 ounces fresh baby spinach (about 12 cups)
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- Salsa and lime wedges
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta, cilantro, half the minced garlic, salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until softened, 4-5 minutes. Add shrimp, green chiles and pepper flakes; cook 1 minute longer. Add spinach and remaining garlic; cook and stir until shrimp turn pink and spinach is wilted, 4-5 minutes.
- Serve shrimp mixture in tortillas with ricotta mixture, salsa and lime wedges.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts2 tacos: 317 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 468mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 5g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as SPINACH, SHRIMP & RICOTTA TACOS in Taste of Home April/May 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.