Fresh Shrimp and Avocado Nachos
Since I'm such a fan of shrimp any which way and my family loves nachos, I combined my fresh-from-the-garden ingredients with shrimp and avocado for a cool yet satisfying take on the party snack. —Teri Rasey, Cadillac, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tomatillos, husks removed and chopped
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound peeled and deveined cooked shrimp (50-70 per pound), coarsely chopped
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and pitted, divided
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, divided
- 8 cups tortilla chips
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- In a large bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 30 minutes. Stir in shrimp.
- For avocado cream, mash one avocado with sour cream and 1 tablespoon lime juice until smooth. Cube remaining avocado and toss with remaining lime juice.
- To serve, arrange chips on a large platter. Top with shrimp mixture, cubed avocado, lettuce and avocado cream; serve immediately.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 264 calories, 16g fat (3g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 542mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Garden Fresh Shrimp Delight in Simple & Delicious June/July 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.