Grilled Chorizo and Shrimp Paella
This shrimp paella recipe is not only healthy but satisfying, too! There's vitamin C from the sweet red pepper, fiber from the rice, and the chicken sausage is a great source of lean protein. — Daniel Bartholomay, Fargo, North Dakota
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Grill: 10 min.
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups instant brown rice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads or 4 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked chorizo chicken sausage or flavor of your choice, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium mango, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 medium lime, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a Dutch oven, saute red pepper and onion in oil until tender. Add the rice, garlic and chipotle pepper; saute 2 minutes longer. Add the broth, tomatoes and saffron. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the shrimp, chicken sausage and mango; sprinkle with lime juice and cayenne. Transfer to a grill wok or basket. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 5-8 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, stirring occasionally.
- Add shrimp mixture to Dutch oven; toss to combine. Garnish with lime wedges and cilantro.
Editor's Note: If you do not have a grill wok or basket, use a disposable foil pan. Poke holes in the bottom of the pan with a meat fork to allow liquid to drain.