Grilled Chipotle Shrimp
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + marinating Grill: 10 min.
Makesabout 5 dozen (1-1/4 cups sauce)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped, plus 1/4 cup adobo sauce
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- CILANTRO CREAM SAUCE:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh mint
- In a small saucepan, bring the brown sugar, chipotles, adobo sauce, garlic, water, lime juice, oil and salt to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; cool completely.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Add the shrimp; turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, combine the sauce ingredients; chill until serving.
- Drain and discard marinade. Thread shrimp onto metal or soaked wooden skewers.
- Grill shrimp on an oiled rack, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes or until shrimp are pink, turning once. Serve with sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 shrimp with 1 teaspoon sauce: 27 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 47mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Jul 7, 2019
I have been making this for years. Many friends request these shrimp when we are invited to a gathering. Thanks for an amazing recipe!! Do you serve with shells or just dunk and pop?
Oct 26, 2017
My husband loves shrimp so I made this as our dinner tonight. What a hit! He loved it and asked why I didn't get three pounds of shrimp instead of just 2 pounds! It is time consuming but worth it.
Jun 17, 2015
Did not care for the shrimp at all; very disappointed given all the great reviews. But the dipping sauce is killer. Will be using that in other recipes.
Oct 30, 2014
Definite WOW factor here! This is our favorite appetizer for parties! Everyone loves them!
Feb 4, 2014
This recipe so good...Husband loved it!!
Jan 31, 2014
The shrimp had a really nice kick to them and it was delicious. I did mine on the grill and it was perfect. I will definitely make it for future BBQs
Jul 14, 2013
Everyone LOVED these...couldn't make enough!
Aug 12, 2012
This is a fantastic recipe! We make it for every cookout and it always impresses!! Definitely a dish that impresses!
Jul 31, 2012
It was delicious, the shrimp had so much flavor, it was a fantastic marinade. Thanks for the recipe!
Jun 6, 2012
Not sure which I like better, the shrimp or the sauce! Both are favs.