Shrimp & Broccoli Brown Rice Paella
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups uncooked long grain brown rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1-1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, red pepper and mushrooms; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Stir in rice, garlic and seasonings; cook 1-2 minutes longer.
- Stir in stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 40-45 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Add shrimp and broccoli; cook 8-10 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Stir in peas; heat through.
Freeze option: Place cooled paella in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, stirring gently and adding a little stock or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 331 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 138mg cholesterol, 693mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch.
Nov 23, 2018
Sorry to be giving it 1 star but I had to remake using long grain white rice. My family and I thought that the brown rice tasted dry.
Aug 14, 2017
Great recipe! Didn't change a thing which is unusual for me.Easy. Loved by all.
Jun 22, 2017
This recipe is unlike any that I've ever made. It's an all-in-one meal, easy and very filling! All the fresh veggies with the spices, rice, and shrimp make for a yummy combination.
Jan 30, 2017
I LOVE this recipe. It tastes amazing and it is very satisfying as well. Great healthy dish!!