- 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1/2 pound), cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup uncooked arborio rice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 3/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- In a large skillet, saute the chicken, ham, onion and red pepper in 2 teaspoons oil until chicken is browned on all sides. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- In the same skillet, saute rice in remaining 1 teaspoon oil until lightly browned. Stir in the turmeric, cumin, garlic and salt. Return meat and vegetables to pan; toss lightly. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and simmer until rice is tender, 30-35 minutes. Stir in peas.
1-1/2 cups: 516 calories, 17g fat (4g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 1242mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 36g protein.