Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1/2 pound Spanish chorizo links, sliced
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup uncooked short grain rice
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 strands saffron, crushed or 1/8 teaspoon ground saffron
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup sweet red pepper strips
- 1/2 cup green pepper strips
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Minced fresh parsley and lemon wedges, optional
- In a large saucepan or skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage and chicken in oil for 5 minutes or until sausage is lightly browned and chicken is no longer pink, stirring frequently. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain if necessary.
- Stir in rice and onion. Cook until onion is tender and rice is lightly browned, stirring frequently. Add the broth, tomatoes, paprika, cayenne, salt and saffron. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the shrimp, peppers and peas. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer or until rice is tender, shrimp turn pink and liquid is absorbed.Top with fresh parsley and lemon wedges, if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 237 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 543mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Mar 29, 2016
This was really good but I used thick 'n chunky salsa instead of tomatoes and Mexi-corn instead of the peas.
May 28, 2015
This was absolutely delicious! I did make the following changes, though--decreased the cayenne pepper to 1/8 t, used an orange pepper and diced it, adding it with the onion, omitted the peas, and added additional salt to taste. My only complaint was that the rice didn't get as tender as I wanted it to, no matter how much longer I cooked it. Next time, I might try cooking the rice separately and then add it to the mixture. I might also try using diced tomatoes, also.
Jun 2, 2014
I had never made paella before and this was a great recipe to use as a guide. In place of the sausage and chicken I used chopped turkey bacon and a medley of seafood including shrimp, calamari (both rings and tentacles) and mussels. I didn't have cayenne but did use turmeric along with the saffron. My boyfriend tends to get heart burn from peppers so I omitted those all together. I shared some with my parents and they enjoyed it as much as we did!
Feb 9, 2009
Any idea what the Nutritional Values are?