Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup sliced fully cooked smoked sausage (1/4-inch slices)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, halved
- 1/2 cup raisins, optional
- 1 cup uncooked converted rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- In a large skillet, saute the chicken, ham, sausage, onion and green pepper in 2 tablespoons oil for 3-5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add olives and raisins if desired. Cook 2-3 minutes longer or until heated through, stirring occasionally; remove meat and vegetable mixture from pan and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute rice in remaining oil for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in the garlic, turmeric and curry. Return meat and vegetables to pan; toss lightly. Add broth and mixed vegetables; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until rice is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 258 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 711mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 21, 2019
I use a package of yellow rice, do not use the ham and add some shrimp..Because I use a package of Vigo yellow rice mix..I do not add the 2 garlic cloves, ground turmeric or curry powder.. The yellow rice is nicely spiced...It's a winner at every pot luck I have brought it to...and a winner in my home too...
Jan 7, 2019
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't converted rice and instant rice 2 different types. I thought instant rice took at max 5 minutes to cook? And all others took at least 20 minutes? I thought these recipes were for instant rice??? Confused.
Nov 11, 2018
Very good, I am looking forward to making it again adding the shrimp, thanks for the suggestion.
Dec 3, 2012
I added a lb of shrimp the second time i cooked it . The orignal is good . I used extra virgin olive oil . Thanks for the recipe .