Paella is a Spanish dish traditionally made with rice, saffron, a variety of meat and shellfish, garlic, onions, peas, tomatoes and other vegetables. It's named for the wide, shallow pan it's cooked in, but I cook mine on the stovetop with delicious results.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large green pepper, julienned
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- In a saucepan, combine the broth, rice, onion, half of the garlic, salt, turmeric, pepper and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the green pepper, onions, parsley, thyme, hot pepper sauce and remaining garlic in oil for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms. Cook until green pepper is crisp-tender. Add tomato and peas; heat through.
- Discard bay leaf; add rice mixture to vegetable mixture and keep warm. In a nonstick skillet, cook and stir shrimp in lemon juice for 2 minutes. Add chicken; cook until chicken is no longer pink and shrimp has turned pink, about 3-5 minutes. Add to rice mixture; toss.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 258 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 591mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Calendula Paella in The Taste of Home Cookbook 1st edition
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.