A big pan of paella is the perfect choice when cooking for a crowd. All you need to round out the meal is fresh bread and a green salad.—Jane Montgomery, Hilliard, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 55 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes24 servings (1 cup each)
- 3 pounds uncooked skinless turkey breast, cubed
- 4 pounds uncooked chorizo, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces or bulk spicy pork sausage
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 1 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 5 cups water
- 4 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 3-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon saffron threads or 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3/4 cup pitted Greek olives
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, cook turkey and chorizo in oil in batches until browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute onions and red pepper until tender. Add garlic and cayenne; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomato puree and wine. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Transfer to a stock pot. Stir in the water, rice, broth, salt, thyme, saffron, bay leaf, turkey and chorizo. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Add shrimp; cook for 2-3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Remove from the heat; discard bay leaf. Stir in olives and parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 536 calories, 26g fat (9g saturated fat), 159mg cholesterol, 1430mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 39g protein.
Originally published as Paella in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2008
Dec 30, 2018
I've tried lots of Paella recipes, but this one really is the BEST. I use 1 lb. boneless chicken breast in place of turkey breast, 1 lb. of fresh kielbasa in place of the chorizo, 1/2 lb. of medium shrimp