Shrimp Tostadas with Avocado Salsa
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and chopped, divided
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 teaspoons lime juice, divided
- 2 teaspoons blackened seasoning, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1 small navel orange, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 6 tostada shells
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons avocado, water, 1 teaspoon lime juice, 1 teaspoon blackened seasoning and cumin. Set aside 1/4 cup beans; add remaining beans to avocado mixture and mash with a fork. Stir in reserved beans. Set aside.
- For salsa, in a small bowl, combine the orange, onion, jalapeno, cilantro and remaining avocado and lime juice. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Place tostada shells on ungreased baking sheets; spread with bean mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350° for 4-6 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook shrimp and remaining blackened seasoning over medium-high heat for 4-6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Arrange over tostada shells; serve with salsa.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 285 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 125mg cholesterol, 517mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 6g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch.
Feb 24, 2012
Was a BIG hit tonight for dinner. Will make again for a dinner party....impressive, tasty and easy. Took a while to chop everything, but well worth the time. Thanks!
Jul 4, 2011
great summer recipe. nice flavor.
Mar 3, 2010
Great flavor. Very Yummy. Not easy to make but fun to make!!!
Jan 31, 2010
The salsa was especially good. I used pinto beans instead I think you could use many variations with this recipe and it would still be good.
Apr 30, 2009
O.K...loved the recipe, but it was not quick to make. Thirty minutes? No way. It took me 10 just to peel the shrimp! Anyhoo, I will definitely make this again. Salsa rocked!
Apr 2, 2009
This was so delicious!! Made it for family after I made it for my husband and I, and it was a big hit! This one is going into my "make-often" file!
Oct 9, 2008
The recipe Shrimp Tostadas with Avocado Salsa is great! I loved the flavor of the salsa - EXCELLENT! I didn't have shrimp or tostatda shells, so I subsituted with left over salmon and left over flour tortillas, plus used chilli powder instead of the blackened seasoning and it still came out delicious. Will absolutely make this again!!!
Jan 2, 2008
Absolutely loved the flavor! Ease of prep,not so much...would make it again though
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.