Shrimp Taco Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 envelope taco seasoning, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons diced green or sweet red pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 3 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (8 ounces) ready-to-serve salad greens
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 cups (8 ounces) finely shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Place shrimp in a large bowl; sprinkle with half of the taco seasoning. Set aside. In a small bowl, whisk 1/2 cup oil, onion, vinegar, green pepper, garlic, coriander and sugar; set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add tortilla chips; stir-fry until golden. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with remaining taco seasoning. In same skillet, cook and stir shrimp 8-10 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
- In a large bowl, combine beans, salad greens, tomato, shrimp and tortilla strips. Just before serving, whisk dressing and pour over salad; sprinkle with cheese and toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 383 calories, 27g fat (9g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 758mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 1, 2017
We had for dinner tonight!! pretty tasty. I did add avocado and the salad was more healthy.
May 1, 2014
This was very good. I agree the dressings is what made it. I left off the beans as all in the household do not like. Next time I will try avocado on it, I think the would be a very good accompaniment.
Oct 31, 2011
For me, the key component in this recipe was the dressing. It was so light and delicious! The coriander was a perfect ingredient to compliment the shrimp! I make my own taco seasoning, so I seasoned the shrimp to my liking and sprinkled some of the seasoning on the tortilla strips. I don't care for packaged salads (pre-washed with or in WHAT?) so I used a combination of iceberg and romaine lettuces. Also, didn't have black beans or tomatoes, but added some corn (thawed frozen), black olives, garbanzo beans, scallions, cucumber and shredded carrot, as well as a little Mexican blend shredded cheese. What a wonderful, light meal! We will make this many times over I'm sure. Thanks for sharing!