Shrimp Rice Salad
"I enjoy this salad because it's so easy to prepare," enthuses Joyce Pappert of Mars, Pennsylvania. "It's nice to take luncheons or bridal showers...and it makes a refreshing meal on a hot day. My husband isn't a big fan of seafood, so I often make it with chicken, which is just as tasty."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Leaf lettuce
- Cherry tomatoes, optional
- In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients; toss gently. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce and seasonings; shake well. Add to shrimp mixture; toss. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Serve on lettuce; garnish with tomatoes if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 307 calories, 15g fat (2g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 408mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Shrimp Rice Salad in Country Woman May/June 2000