Mediterranean Brown Rice Salad
My family and friends all love this salad, which they've referred to as "the Greek salad." The recipe makes enough to feed a crowd, so it's a perfect bring-along for a big party. No matter what you're looking for—something with the Greek flavors you love, or just a healthy, simple salad—it will not disappoint! If you'd like, substitute orzo for the rice. —Sarah Hawkins, Wanatah, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 35 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain brown rice
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach (about 8 cups), coarsely chopped
- 16 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- In a saucepan, combine rice and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 35-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place vinegars, garlic, pepper and salt in bowl and whisk together. While whisking, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Stir in basil.
- Place spinach in a large bowl; add cooked rice. Stir in tomatoes, green onions and dressing; toss until spinach is wilted. Gently stir in feta. Loosely cover and refrigerate 2 hours or until cold.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 55 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 291mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Brown Rice Salad with Spinach, Tomato, and Feta in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2019