Mediterranean Brown Rice Salad
My family and friends all love this salad, which they've referred to as "the Greek salad." The recipe makes enough to feed a crowd, so it's a perfect bring-along for a big party. No matter what you're looking for—something with the Greek flavors you love, or just a healthy, simple salad—it will not disappoint! If you'd like, substitute orzo for the rice. —Sarah Hawkins, Wanatah, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 35 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain brown rice
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach (about 8 cups), coarsely chopped
- 16 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- In a saucepan, combine rice and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 35-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place vinegars, garlic, pepper and salt in bowl and whisk together. While whisking, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Stir in basil.
- Place spinach in a large bowl; add cooked rice. Stir in tomatoes, green onions and dressing; toss until spinach is wilted. Gently stir in feta. Loosely cover and refrigerate 2 hours or until cold.