Holiday Rice Salad
It's nice to prepare a cold salad like this when entertaining because it can be made ahead and doesn't take up valuable oven space.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 7 cups cooked wild rice, cooled
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or additional dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint or 1 teaspoon dried mint flakes
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Combine the first nine ingredients. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine dressing ingredients; shake well. Pour over rice mixture and toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, for 2 hours or until serving.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 245 calories, 11g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 175mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat.
Originally published as Holiday Rice Salad in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2004