Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Dash pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in couscous. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5-10 minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Sir in remaining ingredients; heat through, stirring occasionally. Serve with couscous.
Nutrition Facts1 cup chickpea mixture with 2/3 cup couscous: 340 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 677mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 9g fiber), 11g protein.
Feb 28, 2018
My husband and I live on a boat cruising and are always looking for dishes to make with not much food on board. We loved this and will eat it even when we are fully stocked with provision.
May 8, 2017
We love this!! I serve it over egg noodles. So easy and fast.
Dec 19, 2013
used half as many grilled artichokes and 2 cans of chic peas. served with jasmine rice. even the kiddo loved it! easy, fast, unique. also great with a little feta on top.
Dec 10, 2012
I just made this to take to a friend, but like it so much I think I'll make it for myself tomorrow!
Aug 8, 2012
so easy to make and very tasty. the stewed tomatoes were on the sweet side so i needed to add a little more lemon juice
Aug 7, 2012
Great flavors & very easy to throw together! Definitely use no salt added tomatoes & chickpeas, as the olives and artichokes will have plenty!
May 27, 2010
Delicious and easy to make
May 21, 2010
This dish has so much flavour and takes no time to pull together. My small kids love it too. I sometimes serve it with pita pockets.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.