Mediterranean Mashed Potatoes
It's hard for our family to imagine eating mashed potatoes any other way but this. It tastes great on its own or drizzled with tahini sauce. —Nikki Haddad, Germantown, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min.
Makes16 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 8 large potatoes (about 6-1/2 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon plus 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Place potatoes in a stockpot; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, mince garlic; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Mash garlic with flat side of the knife blade, forming a smooth paste. In a small bowl, whisk oil, lemon juice, garlic mixture and remaining salt until blended.
- Drain potatoes; return to pan. Mash potatoes, gradually adding oil mixture. Transfer to a serving dish; sprinkle with pine nuts.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 192 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 262mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Originally published as Lebanese Style Mashed Potatoes in Taste of Home November 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.