Baked Mashed Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 4 large potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted divided
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cream-style cottage cheese
- 5 green onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers
- Cook potatoes until tender; drain. Place in a large bowl. Add milk, salt and 1 tablespoon butter; beat until light and fluffy. Fold in egg, sour cream, cottage cheese and onions. Place in a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Combine the cracker crumbs and remaining butter; sprinkle over potato mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-30 minutes or until crumbs are lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 303 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 471mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 27, 2013
I've made this for years. Delicious make-ahead dish.
Sep 29, 2013
I made these last year for thanksgiving and i will be making them again this year great make ahead mashed we love them.
Mar 24, 2012
I have been asked to bring this many times. Everyone is surprised by the cottage cheese. I'm glad I tried it.
Oct 27, 2011
This recipe was wonderful I am having it for thanksgiving this year it will help save time because I can make it the day before plus it got a thumbs up from my whole family thanks for sharing.
Sep 12, 2011
I have always made my mashed potatoes with cottage cheese instead of cream cheese. It gives them a creamy flavor, but not so heavy.
Jan 5, 2011
This mashed potato recipe was very good and a nice change from the classic twice baked potato casserole. My family didn't notice the cottage cheese and I felt that it was a yummy addition. However, the casserole was a little runny so I did add two extra potatoes and cooked the casserole for about 20 minutes extra. I will make this again
Sep 9, 2010
I loved these potatoes!!!! I added cream cheese also and family loved them...had no idea there was cottage cheese in them and I'll never tell so they will continue to eat them...so good!!!
May 13, 2010
Question: How far ahead have you made the potatoes? Also do Red potatoes or Russet potatoes taste better in this recipe? Does anyone know if the leftovers can be frozen? Thanks in advance
Apr 9, 2010
Unfortunately this was not a hit with my children. They could taste the cottage cheese and I had to cover it with the sauce from Porcupine Meatballs just to get them to eat it.
Dec 19, 2009
Love these potatoes! The men in the family always scrape the dish clean, even my son who won't normally eat cottage cheese.