Mediterranean Vegetable Pitas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 cup chopped seeded cucumber
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 cups torn romaine
- 8 whole wheat pita pocket halves
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a large bowl, whisk the first six ingredients until blended; if desired, stir in cayenne. Add tomato, cucumber, onion and olives; toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving.
- To serve, add lettuce to vegetables; toss to combine. Spoon into pita halves; sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts2 filled pita halves: 354 calories, 19g fat (4g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 580mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 7g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 11, 2017
Made these for supper tonight. Nice flavour. Super messy.
Jul 16, 2015
I will use Kalamata olives instead of the ripe olives - which have no flavor, in my opinion. I know this will become a lunch favorite for us. Thanks much!
Aug 9, 2013
We really liked this! I did not add the olives and served it on a salad. Very good! I did take a hunk of italian bread and dip it in the marinade and thought is was great!
Jul 8, 2013
I didn't really care for these, but my husband and 2 kids them so I guess the recipe is a keeper!
Jun 19, 2013
This is just so delicious and colorful and makes you feel sinless because its so healthy! I got pita bread by mistake instead of pita pocket ... I bet it'll be even better next time. Crunchy & fun.
Jun 14, 2013
I liked this dish, I thought it had a lot of flavor.
Jun 3, 2013
great, l added cilantro and l couldn't fine small pita pockets so l cut mine in quarters. I served with fresh tomato soup. Yummy!