Greek Beef Pitas
A local fast-food pita restaurant inspired me to make my own Greek-style sandwiches at home. Add olives if you like. —Nancy Sousley, Lafayette, Indiana
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup reduced-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled cucumber
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 4 whole pita breads, warmed
- Additional chopped tomatoes and cucumber, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in oregano and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- In a small bowl, mix yogurt, tomato, cucumber, dill and remaining salt. Spoon 3/4 cup beef mixture over each pita bread; top with 3 tablespoons yogurt sauce. If desired, top with additional tomatoes and cucumbers. Serve with remaining yogurt sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 407 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 851mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 34g protein.
Originally published as Beefy Greek Pita Folds in Simple & Delicious April/May 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.