Traditional Pita Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 5 min.
Makes6 pita breads
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in salt and enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Do not let rise.
- Divide dough into six pieces; knead each for 1 minute. Roll each into a 5-in. circle. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Place upside down on greased baking sheets. Bake at 500° for 5-10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1/2 each: 115 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 394mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sep 17, 2014
mine came out very crunchy and kind of hard but it did taste good and I will try again
Nov 19, 2013
great, a fun recipe to make with kids
May 3, 2013
I swapped out 1 cup of white flour for whole wheat and added honey. They were soft and delicious, and the perfect base for a TOH beef gyros recipe!
Oct 11, 2012
This recipe makes the perfect pita bread. I just have not figured out how to make it into a pocket. I just fold it for now.