Traditional Pita Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 5 min.
Makes6 pita breads
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in salt and enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Do not let rise.
- Divide dough into six pieces; knead each for 1 minute. Roll each into a 5-in. circle. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Place upside down on greased baking sheets. Bake at 500° for 5-10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1/2 each: 115 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 394mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Sep 17, 2014
mine came out very crunchy and kind of hard but it did taste good and I will try again
Nov 19, 2013
great, a fun recipe to make with kids
May 3, 2013
I swapped out 1 cup of white flour for whole wheat and added honey. They were soft and delicious, and the perfect base for a TOH beef gyros recipe!
Oct 11, 2012
This recipe makes the perfect pita bread. I just have not figured out how to make it into a pocket. I just fold it for now.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.