Greek Sausage Pitas
I nicknamed my sandwich “Thor's Pita” because it's lightening fast and robust. The ingredient amounts don't really matter. Use more or less depending on what you have. —Teresa Aleksandrov, Ypsilanti, Michigan
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 whole wheat pita breads (6 inches)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 pound Italian turkey sausage links or other sausage links of your choice, casings removed
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Additional minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 325°. Wrap pita breads in foil; warm in oven while preparing toppings.
- In a small bowl, mix yogurt, green onions, parsley, lemon juice and garlic. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles.
- To assemble, spoon sausage over pitas. Top with cucumber, tomato and yogurt mixture; sprinkle with additional parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 open-faced sandwich: 309 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 667mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat.
Originally published as Thor's Pita in Simple & Delicious April/May 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.