Beef Pitas with Yogurt Sauce
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 4 whole pita breads, warmed
- In a small bowl, mix yogurt, parsley, garlic and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Toss beef with herbs, pepper and remaining salt.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender. Remove from pan.
- In same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until no longer pink. Serve on pitas; top with onion and sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 filled pita with 1/4 cup sauce: 405 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 784mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat.
Jul 31, 2017
This was good. I made this recipe twice and the second time left out the parsley but added lemon. Easy quick yummy meal!
Apr 8, 2015
I thought these had great flavor! I will definitely be making these again.
Nov 24, 2014
My hubs and I had this just last night. I used a red onion instead of a white just for contrast. I used my own dried herbs instead of fresh and they worked out just fine. Just remember that dried measurements are different than fresh measurements. It was very, very good and I know we'll have it again.
May 30, 2014
The beef and yogurt sauce are perfect together in a soft pita! My family loved this recipe. I pan fried the steaks whole and sliced them thin after cooking so I could keep them just a bit rare. Thanks trixiejo302 for the salad suggestion. It was a wonderful accompaniment!
Feb 17, 2013
Yum! Instead of pitas, I used little whole wheat pita sandwich breads cause pitas were not available at my grocery store.
Mar 31, 2012
This is delicious and pairs VERY well with the Greek Vegetable Salad also available on TOH.com. (0=
Aug 15, 2011
The recipe calls for 4t oil, divided, but doesn't say where to put 2 of the teaspoons. I put it in the bag with the meat and it was great. I also added chopped cucumber to the sauce and it was a nice addition.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.