Greek Sloppy Joes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Romaine leaves
- 6 kaiser rolls, split and toasted
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in tomato sauce and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Place romaine on roll bottoms; top with meat mixture. Sprinkle with feta cheese; replace tops. Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 337 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 767mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Feb 12, 2018
This is ok enough for a quick meal. I don't think the red onion is the best choice for the recipe. Maybe stick to white or yellow onion.
Nov 6, 2016
It was good but I'm ot sure that I would make them again. Both my kids turned their noses up despite loving feta cheese. My son did end up eating a small bowl of the meat and cheese, but no one raved about them. The only change I made was ground turkey in place of ground beef. My husband I thought they were a little bland.
Sep 14, 2016
This was very easy and a nice change of pace from regular sloppy joes. The Greek flavor is subtle though, so add more seasonings and feta if you desire a prominent Greek flavor. We used turkey instead of beef, and added a pinch of cinnamon.
Sep 25, 2015
Very good, my husband loved it
Sep 13, 2015
Not a lot of Greek flavor to this, other than the feta. Next time, I would add Greek seasoning to make it stand out from other sloppy joe recipes. It was easy to make, and did taste good.
Jul 29, 2015
I made this because I happened to have the ingredients and it seemed simple. This was very easy and quick but it was also excellent. I added a dash of hot pepper sauce and a tsp of brown sugar.
Jul 29, 2015
This was a great weeknight meal, which only took about 20 minutes to prepare from start to finish. The feta cheese is what makes this for me - otherwise I tend to agree that it tastes like spaghetti sauce. Next time I'll add some garlic and maybe some souvlaki seasoning to amp up the Greek flavor. Still a great base recipe to keep as is or make it your own!
Mar 17, 2014
Not a keeper. Tasted like spaghetti with meat sauce on a bun, so the feta did very little to the overall taste.
Mar 5, 2014
This was great. It was a bit too much tomato sauce. I added more garlic and pepper. Very tasty. Very easy!
Feb 27, 2014
I used ground lamb instead, greek oregano and grilled pita. Great recipe !
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.