- 2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes, broth, pepper flakes and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Uncover; simmer 4-5 minutes or until liquid is slightly reduced, stirring occasionally. Stir in lemon zest and lemon juice. Serve with rice.
Can you freeze Lemony Chickpeas?
Do not prepare rice until later. Freeze cooled chickpea mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary. Serve with rice.
1 cup chickpea mixture with 1 cup rice: 433 calories, 9g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 679mg sodium, 76g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 12g fiber), 13g protein.