Easy Chana Masala
I love this quick and healthy Indian-inspired dish so much I always make sure to have the ingredients stocked in my pantry. It makes weeknight dinners feel a little more special. —Janeen Judah, Houston, Texas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- Minced fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, ginger, garlic and, if desired, jalapeno; cook and stir until onion is softened and lightly browned, 4-5 minutes. Add salt and spices; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and garbanzo beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until flavors are blended, 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with rice. Top with yogurt and cilantro.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled garbanzo bean mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Test Kitchen Tips