Lemon-Sesame Green Beans
There’s a kabob shop in Charlottesville, Virginia, called Sticks with wonderful sides, including sesame beans. I love them so much that I had to make my own version. You can use fresh or frozen green beans, and haricots verts (French green beans) work well, too. This salad only gets better as it sits, so it’s great (and convenient!) to make a day or two in advance. —Dyan Carlson, Kents Store, Virginia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 3 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add green beans; cook, uncovered, 3-4 minutes or just until crisp-tender. Remove green beans; drain well.
- Whisk the remaining ingredients until blended. Pour over green beans; toss to coat. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 124 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 204mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Lemon-Sesame Green Bean Salad in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.