Lemon-Sesame Green Beans
There’s a kabob shop in Charlottesville, Virginia, called Sticks and it has wonderful sides, including sesame beans. I love them so much that I had to make my own version. You can use fresh or frozen green beans; haricots verts (French green beans) work well, too. This salad only gets better as it sits, so it’s great (and convenient!) to make a day or two in advance. —Dyan Carlson, Kents Store, Virginia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 3 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add green beans; cook, uncovered, 3-4 minutes or just until crisp-tender. Remove green beans; drain well.
- Whisk the remaining ingredients until blended. Pour over green beans; toss to coat. Serve hot or at room temperature.