Garden Chickpea Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup canned garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 1 small zucchini, julienned
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 3 cups spring mix salad greens
- For dressing, in a dry small skillet, toast cumin seeds over medium heat until aromatic, stirring frequently. Transfer to a small bowl. Stir in tomato, lemon juice, oil, garlic, salt and cayenne pepper.
- In a bowl, combine chickpeas, carrot, zucchini, green onions, parsley, radishes, cheese and walnuts. Stir in 1/3 cup dressing.
- To serve, divide greens between two plates; top with chickpea mixture. Drizzle with remaining dressing.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 492 calories, 38g fat (6g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 619mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 9g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 7, 2017
Excellent and easy! I had most everything in my pantry and fridge which was nice. Common ingredients but very tasty. I also used ground cumin to save time.
Aug 23, 2016
Wonderful! I used a small amount of ground cumin instead. The dressing has a bit of "zip" without overpowering sensitive taste buds.
Jul 15, 2016
Just delicious. I used only 1/2 of the parsley and substituted cilantro for the other half. Fast and easy.
Apr 27, 2016
This delicious salad was republished in the April May issue of Country Woman, and as soon as I saw it I knew it would be a winner on my table. Other than omitting the walnuts I made it exactly as stated, and would not change a thing.. unless, you like an extra kick, as some of the other reviewers mentioned.
Dec 9, 2011
Really enjoyed this.....I like a bit of kick to my food so just added a little hot sauce to the vinaigrette, also cut back on the olive oil. Served the feta separate as the kids don't care for it.
Jun 16, 2010
For a little "kick" I added a 2 tablespoons of Melinas "Pepperino" to the olive oil
Jun 14, 2010
GREAT salad! I doubled the chickpea amount and had a great meatless main dish salad.
Jun 14, 2010
Garden chickpea salad is a family favourite in our home and one we make when we have company coming or just want a simple meal. It tastes so good, we don't usually change much, just the flavour is about all. It's a keeper and definitely going in my recipe box.