Green Garden Salad
"THE SECRET of any salad is the dressing, and in this dressing the ingredient that makes the difference is red wine vinegar. Mixed with olive oil and Italian seasonings, this dressing enhances any kind of greens with a special flavor."
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
Makes8-10 servings (1-1/3 cups dressing)
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, optional
- 2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 to 10 cups torn salad greens
- 1 red onion, sliced into rings
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 2 to 3 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 green pepper, sliced into rings
- In a jar or bottle with tight-fitting lid, combine all the dressing ingredients; shake well. Chill. Just before serving, combine greens, onion, cucumber and tomatoes in a large salad bowl. Pour desired amount of dressing over salad; toss to mix. Top with the green pepper rings.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 173 calories, 17g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Green Garden Salad in Reminisce Extra October 1993
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.