Spinach-Orzo Salad with Chickpeas
The first version of this salad was an experiment in mixing together some random ingredients I had on hand. It was a success, and several people at the party asked for the recipe...which meant I had to re-create it! It's healthy, delicious and perfect for warm-weather days. —Glen White, Kissimmee, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes12 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in orzo; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until al dente, 8-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss spinach and warm orzo, allowing spinach to wilt slightly. Add tomatoes, chickpeas, parsley and green onions.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients. Toss with salad.