Garbanzo Bean Burgers
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 whole wheat or whole grain hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 4 slices reduced-fat American cheese
- Optional toppings: Dill pickle slices, fat-free mayonnaise, ketchup, sliced red onion, lettuce and sliced tomato
- Place the beans, water and lemon juice in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the bread crumbs, egg and seasonings and mix well. Shape into four patties.
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, cook patties in oil in batches until lightly browned, 3-4 minutes on each side. Serve on buns with cheese. If desired, top with pickle slices, mayonnaise and ketchup.
Nutrition Facts1 burger: 447 calories, 16g fat (3g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 807mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 9g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 8, 2019
Question about the nutritional info... Servings listed as 4 but directions say to make 6 patties. Also, are the cheese and bun included in the nutritional info. Thanks!
Jul 25, 2016
I was skeptical that these would be as good as reviewers said. I was so wrong. They were delicious and a healthy alternative to a meat-based burger. Very filling too. Instead of making 6 patties, I made 4 larger ones w/ the recipe and they came out great. Very easy to make, inexpensive and a healthy, meatless meal.
May 26, 2014
My anti - veggie kids each ate 2 for dinner! We told them it was chicken. They loved it.
Nov 4, 2012
I make these frequently. They are inexpensive, quick, and taste wonderful.
Sep 1, 2012
I make these for my husband and myself all the time. We add a little mozzarella (about 1/3 cup) into the mix which moistens the burger. Sometimes we top it with marinara sauce instead of the usual burger toppings for an Italian twist.
Aug 7, 2011
These are delicious!! Yes they are small, only 2.4 ounces each (per patty). So I doubled one for my husband. He said he didn't miss the meat, I am a vegetarian so I never miss the meat. Few changes, I used 2 egg whites vs. one whole egg, I used whole wheat bread crumbs, I doubled the garlic powder (only because I love garlic). Will definitely make again (super quick recipe).
Jan 15, 2011
opps! I meant 'slider'!!
Jan 15, 2011
Made these for lunch today and made them 'silder' size! Excellent meatless burger!
Jan 6, 2011
The beans smelled horrible in the food processor, but the burgers were delicious once made.
Dec 2, 2010
These were a great vegetarian burger. I added a little more garlic powder, some salt and two fresh cloves of garlic to the mixture.