Garbanzo Bean Burgers
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 6 slices reduced-fat process American cheese product
- Dill pickle slices, fat-free mayonnaise and ketchup, optional
- Place the beans, water and lemon juice in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the bread crumbs, egg and seasonings and mix well. Shape into six patties.
- In a large skillet, cook patties in oil in batches for 3-4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Serve on buns with cheese. Top with pickle slices, mayonnaise and ketchup if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 346 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 641mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 7g fiber), 15g protein.
Jul 25, 2016
I was skeptical that these would be as good as reviewers said. I was so wrong. They were delicious and a healthy alternative to a meat-based burger. Very filling too. Instead of making 6 patties, I made 4 larger ones w/ the recipe and they came out great. Very easy to make, inexpensive and a healthy, meatless meal.
May 26, 2014
My anti - veggie kids each ate 2 for dinner! We told them it was chicken. They loved it.
Nov 4, 2012
I make these frequently. They are inexpensive, quick, and taste wonderful.
Sep 1, 2012
I make these for my husband and myself all the time. We add a little mozzarella (about 1/3 cup) into the mix which moistens the burger. Sometimes we top it with marinara sauce instead of the usual burger toppings for an Italian twist.
Aug 7, 2011
These are delicious!! Yes they are small, only 2.4 ounces each (per patty). So I doubled one for my husband. He said he didn't miss the meat, I am a vegetarian so I never miss the meat. Few changes, I used 2 egg whites vs. one whole egg, I used whole wheat bread crumbs, I doubled the garlic powder (only because I love garlic). Will definitely make again (super quick recipe).
Jan 15, 2011
opps! I meant 'slider'!!
Jan 15, 2011
Made these for lunch today and made them 'silder' size! Excellent meatless burger!
Jan 6, 2011
The beans smelled horrible in the food processor, but the burgers were delicious once made.
Dec 2, 2010
These were a great vegetarian burger. I added a little more garlic powder, some salt and two fresh cloves of garlic to the mixture.
Nov 19, 2010
The second time I made these I used 2 eggs instead of one & added some olive oil. They held together much better, just not quite as healthy.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.