Veggie Bean Burgers
Even though the preparation for this meal seems time-consuming on a busy night, it's so worth it. The recipe will leave you with plenty of leftovers so you won't have to do any cooking the next night. These also beat the veggie burgers from the freezer section. —Amber Massey, Argyle, Texas
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Broil: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups Fiber One bran cereal
- 1 medium green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns, split and warmed
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- Tomato slices, optional
- Sliced onion, optional
- Preheat broiler. In a small saucepan, combine rice and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 30-40 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mash beans until almost smooth; stir in eggs, pepper sauce and seasonings. Pulse bran cereal in a food processor until finely ground; remove to a small bowl. Pulse vegetables and garlic in food processor until finely chopped; add to bean mixture. Add cheese and rice to food processor; pulse to blend, then add to bean mixture. Stir in ground cereal.
- Shape mixture into eight 1/2-in.-thick patties; place on a greased foiled-lined baking sheet. Broil 4-6 in. from heat until browned, 6-8 minutes per side. Serve in buns. If desired, top with lettuce, tomato and onion.
Editor’s Note: To bake the patties, preheat oven to 375°. Lightly oil a baking sheet; place patties on baking sheet and bake about 10 minutes on each side.
Nutrition Facts1 burger: 334 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 814mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 15g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Gormet Black Bean Burger in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.