Veggie Tuna Burgers
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup each shredded zucchini, yellow summer squash and carrots
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 can (6 ounces) light water-packed tuna, drained and flaked
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 6 slices reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 6 slices tomato
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion and garlic for 1 minute. Add the zucchini, yellow squash and carrots; saute until tender. Drain and cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, tuna, salt and pepper. Add vegetable mixture. Shape into six 3-1/2-in. patties.
- Coat the same skillet again with cooking spray; cook patties in butter for 3-5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Serve on buns with cheese, lettuce and tomato.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 275 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 643mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Oct 25, 2012
This was a fairly simple yet very tasty meal. I found that the key to them staying together pretty well is to grate the veggies and cook them right up to the point of everything beginning to get soft. Then when adding it all together if it still wants to fall apart adding in a little extra egg does the trick.
Oct 23, 2011
I love this recipe in the summer when my garden is overflowing with zucchini and carrots. Very healthy and great flavor. The only issue I have had is they fall apart a little if the consistency isn't perfect. Otherwise, one of my favorite burgers.
May 4, 2011
I found these tuna burgers to be too sweet. Maybe a different vegetable mix would help, but I couldn't finish mine.
Feb 19, 2009
Great idea with the oatmeal, because I can't have wheat!!!! I want to try these!
Feb 19, 2009
This sounds wonderful. The only thing I would do differently is to exchange the 2 cups of breadcrumbs for perhaps a cup or a cup and a half of pulverized oatmeal, adding much more nutritional value. I will try these, using the oatmeal. Thanks
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.