Veggie-Tuna Noodle Casserole
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 3 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (5 ounces each) tuna, drained and flaked
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute zucchini in 1 teaspoon oil until crisp-tender; remove from skillet and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute celery in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Drain noodles; place in a large bowl. Stir in the tuna, sour cream, mayonnaise, green onions, mustard, thyme, salt, pepper and celery mixture.
- Spoon half of the noodle mixture into a greased 11x7-in. baking dish; top with half of the zucchini. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Combine tomato and basil; sprinkle over casserole.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 327 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 591mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
May 9, 2014
Saved recipe just today. Looks and sounds wonderful. Totally agree with adding mushrooms.
Jan 3, 2012
Not only did I enjoy preparing this dish, it had the added benefit of being delicious! Another reviewer added mushrooms which I also agree would be a good addition. I will definitely make this again.
Oct 24, 2011
I sauteed quartered mushrooms with the celery. Knowing that my family does not like thyme, I put just over 1/4 tsp instead of the 1/2 tsp and it was still too much. The next time I make this I will try parsley instead of the thyme.
Mar 30, 2010
I also added in fresh mushrooms and cooked them with the celery. I would add more thyme. I did not have any basil. My neighbor sampled it and said she would take any left overs.