Slow-Cooker Tuna Noodle Casserole
We tweaked this family friendly classic to work for the slow cooker. It's easy, wholesome and totally homemade!—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 4 hours + standing
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 4 cups uncooked egg noodles (about 6 ounces)
- 3 cans (5 ounces each) light tuna in water, drained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups crushed potato chips
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion, sweet pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; cook and stir until tender, 6-8 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually whisk in broth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in cream and noodles. Cook, covered, on low until noodles are tender, 4-5 hours. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine tuna, lemon juice and remaining salt and pepper.
- Remove insert from slow cooker. Stir cheese, tuna mixture and peas into noodle mixture. Let stand, uncovered, 20 minutes. Just before serving, sprinkle with potato chips.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 393 calories, 21g fat (12g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 752mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Slow-Cooker Tuna Noodle Casserole in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.