De-Lightful Tuna Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 can (5 ounces) light water-packed tuna, drained and flaked
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos
- 3 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup crushed cornflakes
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the soup, mushrooms, cheese, milk, tuna, pimientos, onion, mustard and salt. Drain macaroni; add to tuna mixture and mix well.
- Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cornflakes. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole before topping with cornflakes; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Top casserole with cornflakes and bake as directed; increase time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 329 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 684mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 27, 2018
This was pretty good, got good reviews from my picky husband and my 5 year old. I salted the pasta water and added a few extra spices like garlic and onion powder so it was not bland for me. I also threw in some thawed frozen corn I had leftover from a soup recipe and topped it with crushed black pepper triscuits because I didn't have corn flakes.
Jan 15, 2015
Creamy and satisfying recipe. Only two things I did differently were I substituted chopped sun dried tomatoes instead of pimentos since it was what I had on hand and added a half cup of chopped broccoli to mixture. We had not made this in ages, and we liked this a lot.
Dec 13, 2014
I liked this recipe for tuna casserole. I substituted 4oz can sliced mushrooms for the fresh mushrooms just to save some time. It was still very good! I will likely make this recipe again!
Oct 9, 2014
Bland. Didn't like it at all.
Sep 14, 2013
I've been searching for the perfect tuna noodle casserole...this wasn't perfect...I'm still looking...but overall this was pretty good and until I find the perfection I am looking for I would probably make this again
May 8, 2013
Didn't have corn flakes, so put French fried onion rings on top-delicious!
Jan 26, 2013
This dish was fabulous! I'm not a fan of mushrooms so I added celery instead. It gave a nice touch to the recipe with a slight crunch. I also added onion powder as opposed to dried onion flakes. Maybe that gave it a bit more flavor? I will definitely be making this on a regular basis. Easy and delicious!
Sep 10, 2012
A must try! I read the reviews before doing this recipe and a couple of reviews negative. Hesitant I went ahead and tried this recipe and what a hit! My husband (who doesn't like things healthy) loved this dinner. Very closed to the taste of the original recipe. I will make this again.
Aug 14, 2012
Light, super easy to make, and yummy. Pack it for lunch to work or serve at dinner for your loved ones. This is not fine cuisine, but a comfy, quick, yummy dish. Loved it!!
Mar 22, 2012
I have been trying for years to get my 10 yr old son to eat Tuna Casserole because it's always been one of my favorites! Using the macaroni noodles instead of wide egg noodles did the trick! We all love it.