Comforting Tuna Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-3/4 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
- 6 teaspoons reduced-fat butter, divided
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 pouch (2-1/2 ounces) albacore white tuna in water
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos
- 2 teaspoons minced chives
- 2 slices Muenster cheese (3/4 ounce each)
- 2 tablespoons soft bread crumbs
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 5 teaspoons butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium
- heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to medium-low; add the cream cheese, tuna, pimientos and chives. Cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Drain noodles. Spread 1/4 cup tuna mixture into a 3-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with half of the noodles, 1/2 cup tuna mixture and one slice of cheese. Repeat layers.
- Microwave remaining butter on high, stirring every 30 seconds; stir in bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top of casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 493 calories, 26g fat (15g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 941mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Dec 12, 2018
Family loves this casserole!
Mar 25, 2016
I chose to double this and am glad I did. The leftovers were great. As other reviewers suggested I also added garlic salt and extra Muenster cheese.
Mar 12, 2016
Made this last night and it was excellent. Used a couple extra slices of Munster cheese. Delicious!!!
Jan 20, 2016
This tuna casserole is a lot like the one my grandma use to make. I had never heard of or used muenster cheese, so I was just going to leave it out. However, I saw a small block of it at the grocery store for $4 and decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did. I graded it up and mixed it into the casserole. I also added mushrooms and peas. I made the sauce as suggested but used cream cheese with chives. I decided to top my casserole with crushed ritz crackers and Parmesan cheese. I also trippled this recipe because I needed to serve 6. Very good and my new go to tuna casserole recipe.
Apr 19, 2014
This is a very tasty old fashion tuna recipe. I agree it needs more salt. I also added a little parmesan cheese to the sauce. Instead of bread crumbs I sprinkled a little grated cheddar cheese on top, after all I am from Wi. add cheese to everything. I definitely will make it again.
Jan 14, 2014
I doubled the recipe, but had to add 2 cups of liquid to the roux to make it a sauce. Wonder if a "1" was forgotten before the "3/4 cup" of milk? Added peas and mushrooms, definitely used the chives and roasted pimentos. Anything to add some more flavor to a cassarole is good!
Jan 13, 2014
This was a Friday night staple for many years when my kids were growing up. Pimentos were a luxury so were left out but I added a can of peas just before baking. Ritz crackers were a treat but made it sooooo good.
Jan 13, 2014
It is really good with Ritz crackers instead of bread crumbs.
Jan 12, 2014
needs to bring salt before comes on my table regularly.
Feb 27, 2013
Will make it