Modern Tuna Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 cans (5 ounces each) albacore white tuna in water, drained and flaked
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onion, red pepper and mushrooms. Cook and stir until tender, 8-10 minutes. Add tuna, spinach and peas; cook until spinach is just wilted, 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions for al dente. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup pasta water. In a large bowl, place pasta and tuna mixture; toss to combine. Wipe skillet clean.
- In the same skillet, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in broth and cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, adding reserved pasta water if needed, 1-2 minutes. Stir in cheese, salt and pepper. Pour over pasta; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1-3/4 cups: 372 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 767mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
May 7, 2019
Excellent healthier option for tuna casserole.
Apr 14, 2019
Followed recipe and it was délicieux !
Apr 4, 2019
This was wonderful. Loved that it was full of veggies and didn't use canned soup. Since there is only two of us, I cut the pasta in half and it still made more than we could eat. Will definitely be making this again.
Mar 14, 2019
I followed the recipe mostly as written and it was very good. The only thing I did differently was add the whole box of noodles, which is about 4 cups uncooked and not 3. I didn't mind that it wasn't as saucy. I appreciate that even my two year old ate a bowl full and he got 6 different veggies in his belly! My dad is following a strict diet of calorie counting and I measured a portion and took to his house and he said it was very satisfying! Thank you for this recipe.
Mar 6, 2019
I read through this recipe, noted it call for half and half. The total fats were 11 gm. In a traditional tuna noodle casserole there are 4-5 gm fat. So I don't see that this is healthier. Probably won't try it.
Mar 6, 2019
Finally a tuna casserole recipe that doesn't rely on canned cream soup! Kudos! I made a bit more sauce and used medium shell pasta as that's what I had on hand but that's not an issue here. I do prefer my casseroles baked in the oven which is what I did. Very good!
Feb 3, 2019
Made this last night, followed recipe exactly. I believe it would taste better with chicken. The veggies were a really good mix.
Feb 3, 2019
Like the contributor, I crave old fashioned tuna casserole but don't care to eat canned soup. I loved the flavor and all the veggies, but would have preferred a little more sauce or maybe less pasta, and an actual baked casserole.
Jan 19, 2019
The picture alone looked good enough right off the page... just had to try it. Cut the recipe in half for the two of us, omitted the spinach (I have to deal with a picky eater), and the salt... perfect !