Tuna Mushroom Casserole
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen cut green beans
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups cold whole milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2-1/2 cups egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 can (12 ounces) light tuna in water, drained and flaked
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large saucepan, bring water and bouillon to a boil; stir until bouillon is dissolved. Add the next eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and milk until smooth; gradually add to vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese and mayonnaise until cheese is melted. Fold in noodles and tuna.
- Pour into a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. In a small skillet, brown bread crumbs in butter; sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° until heated through, 25-30 minutes.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 343 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 770mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein.
May 28, 2019
One of my family’s favorites. I use home style noodles and substitute fresh asparagus for the green beans. Delicious!
Mar 13, 2019
Needs a little more flavor. After first try I switched it up a bit. Added frozen julienned peppers instead of green beans, sliced green olives with pimentos, French fried onions instead of diced onions, doubled the cheese and crumbled more French fried onion rings over top. Yum!!
Feb 19, 2019
Nov 15, 2018
very tasty. I liked it
Feb 4, 2018
was real good, except will either used herbed crumbs or something that makes it a bit more with crunch. maybe some grated parmesan on top.
Dec 4, 2017
This might be one of the best tuna noodle casseroles I’ve ever had, and definitely one of the easiest! Love the addition of green beans and mushrooms. I was unsure about how the dill weed was going to taste, but it turned out beautifully. Also, I made ahead of time without the breadcrumbs. Then, I pulled it out of the fridge and baked off when I was ready to serve.
Nov 4, 2017
Really like this recipe. That said, I used frozen peas instead of green beans and sliced portobello mushrooms giving it a slightly smokey taste. Will make again.
Nov 4, 2017
Love this recipe. It will most likely be my new go-to tuna casserole. I added some dried mustard and used two cans of tuna. Didn't have swiss cheese so used cheddar, used canned French-cut beans, and chicken broth instead of water bullion. It still came out tasting wonderful. That's the beauty of this recipe--you can play around with it plus you get those veggies into the family members!
May 7, 2017
I'm not crazy about tuna, but I love this casserole!
Mar 12, 2017
This is by far the best tuna noodle casserole I have ever had! I didn't have frozen green beans so I used a can of beans. Other than that I followed the recipe as written. This will be my go-to recipe in the future. Thanks for sharing!