Tuna Mushroom Casserole
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen cut green beans
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups cold whole milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2-1/2 cups egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 can (12 ounces) light tuna in water, drained and flaked
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large saucepan, bring water and bouillon to a boil; stir until bouillon is dissolved. Add the next eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and milk until smooth; gradually add to vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese and mayonnaise until cheese is melted. Fold in noodles and tuna.
- Pour into a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. In a small skillet, brown bread crumbs in butter; sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 343 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 770mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein.
Feb 4, 2018
was real good, except will either used herbed crumbs or something that makes it a bit more with crunch. maybe some grated parmesan on top.
Dec 4, 2017
This might be one of the best tuna noodle casseroles I’ve ever had, and definitely one of the easiest! Love the addition of green beans and mushrooms. I was unsure about how the dill weed was going to taste, but it turned out beautifully. Also, I made ahead of time without the breadcrumbs. Then, I pulled it out of the fridge and baked off when I was ready to serve.
Nov 4, 2017
Really like this recipe. That said, I used frozen peas instead of green beans and sliced portobello mushrooms giving it a slightly smokey taste. Will make again.
Nov 4, 2017
Love this recipe. It will most likely be my new go-to tuna casserole. I added some dried mustard and used two cans of tuna. Didn't have swiss cheese so used cheddar, used canned French-cut beans, and chicken broth instead of water bullion. It still came out tasting wonderful. That's the beauty of this recipe--you can play around with it plus you get those veggies into the family members!
May 7, 2017
I'm not crazy about tuna, but I love this casserole!
Mar 12, 2017
This is by far the best tuna noodle casserole I have ever had! I didn't have frozen green beans so I used a can of beans. Other than that I followed the recipe as written. This will be my go-to recipe in the future. Thanks for sharing!
Jul 10, 2016
This was good. I thought having the green beans mixed in would be weird , but it was fine. It fit in a 2 quart dish just fine.
Jun 24, 2016
Followed recipe as written and while the casserole was good, it was an awful lot of work and not much better than "tuna helper" in a box.
Oct 10, 2014
My husband grew up thinking that Tuna Noodle Casseroles were "icky", and back when he was growing up in the 50's and 60's, cooks just threw together some canned tuna, cream of mushroom soup, noodles and maybe some canned peas. No culinary art to those renditions at all.He certainly eats this one, however!! I've cooked this version since it came out in the "Taste of Home" magazine many years ago! To make it even more upscale and updated, I have always used 2 FRESH tuna steaks, cut into a 1/2 " dice instead of canned tuna, and the tuna is cooked when the casserole goes in the oven, not beforehand. I also use canned chicken broth (1/2 C.) instead of the bouillon. Everything else in the recipe stays the same. It's so good to have some fresh veggies to add flavor to the sauce. My children have always eaten this one as well.
Jan 29, 2014
This is how a tuna casserole is supposed to taste. Very delicious. Comfort food with a healthy kick. Love all the veggies in it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.