Steakhouse Mushroom Casserole
This meatless casserole is one of my all-time favorites. Loaded with mushrooms and draped in a reich sauce, it's a home-style side dish that will have everyone scooping up seconds.—Rosemary Janz, Concord, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min.
- 2 pounds sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in batches in 1/4 cup butter until mushrooms are tender and liquid is evaporated. In a large bowl, whisk the cream, egg yolk, parsley, lemon juice, salt and paprika. Add mushrooms and stir until blended.
- Transfer to a greased 8-inch square baking dish. Melt remaining butter; stir in cracker crumbs until blended. Sprinkle over mushroom mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160° and topping is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 407 calories, 34g fat (19g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 620mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Mushroom Casserole in Country Woman Christmas 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.