Black Bean Burgers
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 6 kaiser rolls, split
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 3/4 cup salsa
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the mixed vegetables, onion and red pepper. Cover and microwave on high for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Coarsely mash 3/4 cup black beans. In a bowl, combine the cornstarch and water until smooth; stir in the mashed beans, potato flakes, oats, flour, milk powder, egg, salt and pepper. Stir in vegetable mixture and remaining black beans. Shape into six 5/8-in.-thick patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook patties in oil for 4-5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Serve on rolls with lettuce and salsa.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 381 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 841mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 9g fiber), 14g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 23, 2011
MMMM, my mom and I love these!! My first time I had trouble getting them to stay in patties, but I think with practice it will get better and I'm sure I will be getting lots of practice! I will definitely be making these again...and again, and again and again.....!
May 7, 2011
These burgers are great. I added a little garlic powder to them and they were great.