Black Bean Burgers
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 6 kaiser rolls, split
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 3/4 cup salsa
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the mixed vegetables, onion and red pepper. Cover and microwave on high for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Coarsely mash 3/4 cup black beans. In a bowl, combine the cornstarch and water until smooth; stir in the mashed beans, potato flakes, oats, flour, milk powder, egg, salt and pepper. Stir in vegetable mixture and remaining black beans. Shape into six 5/8-in.-thick patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook patties in oil for 4-5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Serve on rolls with lettuce and salsa.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 381 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 841mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 9g fiber), 14g protein.
Jul 23, 2011
MMMM, my mom and I love these!! My first time I had trouble getting them to stay in patties, but I think with practice it will get better and I'm sure I will be getting lots of practice! I will definitely be making these again...and again, and again and again.....!
May 7, 2011
These burgers are great. I added a little garlic powder to them and they were great.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.