Marty’s Bean Burger Chili
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 frozen spicy black bean veggie burgers, thawed and coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large sweet red or green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Place all ingredients in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker; stir to combine. Cook, covered, on low 7-9 hours to allow flavors to blend.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 348 calories, 6g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1151mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 19g fiber), 21g protein.
Mar 15, 2016
this was the worst new recipe I have ever tried from toh. Tasteless. The amount of chili powder used was overpowering. A big waste of ingredients that could have been used to make a really good chili. Hate to say it but I threw the whole mess in the garbage. Don't like being so harsh but it was such a waste.
Sep 23, 2015
An Ok recipe, but not one that really excited us. It is healthy, but just not enough flavor for us.
Sep 12, 2015
We are chili lovers and this one is GOOD! I made 2 changes- not wanting to make a trip to the store I used what I had on hand--that is, hamburger instead of black bean burgers. I realize this completely negates this being a vegetarian dish but the men in my family are carnivores anyway. I also added a can of tomato sauce (or tomato juice would also work) to make it "soupier." The chili was very thick--almost casserole-like. I also added a little more hot sauce and I have to say this is a super delicious chili. It will be an easy weekday fix.
Sep 2, 2015
This was a great alternative to the classic meatless chili! I used beans that I had on hand - one can of undrained pinto beans and one can of drained cannelli beans in place of the kidney and garbanzo beans respectively, and it still turned out delicious. Definitely not too spicy - which makes this easy to customize by the bowlful!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.