Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 hamburger buns, split
- In a saucepan over medium heat, brown beef; drain. Add beans, soup, celery, green pepper, onion, ketchup, brown sugar and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve on buns.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 246 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 642mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 13g protein.
Mar 29, 2010
I've been making this recipe since it was published (a long time ago). It's very kid friendly and a good budget stretcher. I frequently put it in the crock pot when I need to make it ahead of time (cook 3-4 hours on low) or when I want something hot that the kids can help themselves to as they come in. Serve it over whole grain or whole wheat buns for added nutrition.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.