Burgers with Spicy Dill Salsa
When I make burgers or hot dogs for boating or barbecues, I do a topping that tastes like relish meets salsa. Pile it on any griller you like. —Valonda Seward, Coarsegold, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Grill: 10 min./batch
Makes12 servings (3 cups salsa)
- 1 jar (10 ounces) dill pickle relish
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 to 2 serrano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 12 hamburger buns, split
- For salsa, in a bowl, mix the first seven ingredients. In another bowl, combine beef, salt and pepper; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into twelve 1/2-in.-thick patties.
- In two batches, grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°. Serve with salsa.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 burger with 1/4 cup salsa: 371 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 926mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Spicy Dill Salsa in Simple & Delicious June/July 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.