Stuffed Chorizo Burgers with Tomatillo Salsa
I created this chorizo burger for my new boyfriend and his family for our first meeting. Needless to say, they loved the recipe and fell in love with me, too! These burgers go great with plantain chips or a spicy potato salad from the grocer. —Vivi Taylor, Middleburg, Florida
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Grill: 15 min.
- 5 ounces fresh chorizo
- 1-1/3 cups crumbled cotija or feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced seeded jalapeno pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 1-1/2 cups tomatillo salsa (about 12 ounces), warmed
- Optional toppings: sliced red onions, heirloom tomatoes, hot pepper sauce and fresh cilantro leaves
- In a small skillet, cook chorizo over medium heat, crumbling meat, until cooked through, 4-6 minutes. Drain and cool slightly. Combine chorizo with cheese, cilantro, garlic and jalapeno.
- Shape ground beef into twelve 1/4-in.-thick patties. Spread chorizo mixture over six patties to within 1/2 in. of edges; top with remaining patties, pinching edges to seal. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle burgers with pepper and salt; grill, covered, on a greased rack over medium direct heat until a thermometer reads 160°, about 6-8 minutes per side. Remove from heat; tent with foil and let stand 4-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grill buns until golden brown. Serve burgers on buns with salsa and toppings as desired.
Nutrition Facts1 burger: 594 calories, 34g fat (14g saturated fat), 141mg cholesterol, 1418mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 42g protein.
Originally published as Tomatillo Sauced and Coti-Chorizo Stuffed Burgers in Fast Track 2019