Jalapeno Burgers with Gorgonzola
On a whim, we mixed homemade jalapeno jam into ground beef patties, then topped the burgers with caramelized onions and tangy Gorgonzola cheese. Fabulous! —Becky Mollenkamp, St. Louis, Missouri
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- Dash salt
- Dash sugar
- 1/3 cup jalapeno pepper jelly
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 2 tablespoons crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- Thinly sliced jalapeno pepper, optional
- In a small skillet, heat oil and butter over medium heat. Add onion, salt and sugar; cook and stir until onion is softened, 3-4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally, 4-6 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix jelly, salt and pepper. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 1/2-in. thick patties.
- Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat until a thermometer reads 160°, 4-5 minutes on each side. Serve on buns with caramelized onion, cheese and, if desired, sliced jalapeno.