Jalapeno Burgers with Gorgonzola
On a whim, we mixed homemade jalapeno jam into ground beef patties, then topped the burgers with caramelized onions and tangy Gorgonzola cheese. Fabulous! —Becky Mollenkamp, St. Louis, Missouri
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- Dash salt
- Dash sugar
- 1/3 cup jalapeno pepper jelly
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 2 tablespoons crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- Thinly sliced jalapeno pepper, optional
- In a small skillet, heat oil and butter over medium heat. Add onion, salt and sugar; cook and stir until onion is softened, 3-4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally, 4-6 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix jelly, salt and pepper. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 1/2-in. thick patties.
- Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat until a thermometer reads 160°, 4-5 minutes on each side. Serve on buns with caramelized onion, cheese and, if desired, sliced jalapeno.
Nutrition Facts1 burger: 460 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 669mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Jalapeno Jam Burger with Caramelized Onions and Gorgonzola in Simple & Delicious February/March 2016