Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Hot cooked noodles or mashed potatoes
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the water, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, sugar, salt, mustard and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and cold water until smooth; stir into the meat mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with noodles or potatoes. Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cups: 431 calories, 24g fat (9g saturated fat), 125mg cholesterol, 896mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 39g protein.
May 1, 2018
Very tasty and quick to make
Sep 7, 2016
I've been making this for years. My husband would live on this if I would let him.
May 5, 2016
This was alittle sweet but very good and the family ate every bite
Nov 1, 2013
Useful alternative to Hamburger Helper. Nice consistency; definitely try over potatoes. More than doubled the garlic powder, but could use a bit more zest. Overall makes a good weeknight meal for our family from convenient ingredients. Would make it again.
Apr 28, 2013
This dish was good. My husband and 8 yr old really liked it. I didn't change anything in the recipe. May add veggies to it the next time I make it.
Nov 13, 2012
after seeing the reviews I made my own changes and added 1 large green pepper, 1 large onion, 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning, 3 small bulbs of fresh garlic...next time I will add some peas and maybe some carrots... my husband and my two sons all ate 2 plates... all gone
Jul 18, 2012
This seemed to be missing something. The picture shows some green specks. I am thinking they might be green pepper. It would be much better with some green pepper added. I do plan to make it one more time, adding some green pepper, then decide if I want to keep it or not. I served it over mashed potatoes, which worked well.
Nov 3, 2011
This is not worth the effort. Bland and tasteless. I was able to salvage it with a can of chili beans, some taco seasoning and a little bit of salsa.
Oct 26, 2011
We don't eat meat, so I made this with soy "burger crumbles" and served it over rice with a green salad. Looked, smelled, & tasted great!
Feb 27, 2011
I needed a quick supper and this was it! I added green pepper and my kids added their own soy sauce. It is a little sweet. We ate it on rice.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.