Stuffed Jalapeno Grilled Cheese
Not your ordinary grilled cheese, these sandwiches are all grown up! Made with a comforting combination of jalapenos, roasted garlic, cream cheese, bacon and provolone, they please just about all adults—and even adventurous kids! —Melissa Haines, Valparaiso, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + standing Cook: 10 min.
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 jalapeno peppers
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 12 slices multigrain bread
- 6 slices smoked provolone cheese
- 12 cooked bacon strips
- Preheat oven to 425°. Remove papery outer skin from garlic bulb, but do not peel or separate the cloves. Cut off top of garlic bulb, exposing individual cloves. Drizzle cut cloves with oil. Sprinkle with salt. Wrap in foil. Bake until cloves are soft, 25-35 minutes. Unwrap and cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, cut peppers lengthwise in half; remove stems and seeds. Place peppers on a foil-lined baking sheet, skin side up. Broil 4 in. from heat until skins blister, about 5 minutes. Immediately place peppers in a small bowl; let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skin. Cut pepper strips in half.
- Preheat large cast-iron skillet or electric griddle for medium heat. In a small bowl, squeeze garlic from skins; mash with a fork. Beat in cream cheese, Parmesan cheese and Worcestershire sauce until blended. Spread butter over one side of each bread slice. Spread cheese mixture over unbuttered side of six bread slices. Layer each with jalapeno pepper pieces, one slice provolone cheese and two bacon strips. Top with remaining bread slices, buttered side up. Cook sandwiches until golden brown and cheese is melted, 4-6 minutes on each side.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 519 calories, 35g fat (17g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 1009mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 23g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.