Stuffed Grilled Zucchini
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Grill: 10 min.
- 4 medium zucchini
- 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving 1/4-in. shells. Brush with 2 teaspoons oil; set aside. Chop pulp.
- In a large skillet, saute pulp and onion in remaining oil. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the mozzarella cheese, mint and salt. Spoon into zucchini shells. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat until zucchini is tender, 8-10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 186 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 553mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein.
Oct 6, 2013
I thought these were okay, but not great. I think the mint gave a slightly odd flavor.
Jul 16, 2011
This is fabulous and I like that it contains no meat. I did substitute basil for the mint. I also sauteed grape tomatoes and garlic, tossed with goat cheese and more basil and placed on the top. Soooo delicious. I hope that the creator of this recipe will not be offended by my additions as it is amazing o its own.
Jul 11, 2011
Great bbq veggie option. Note: not all breadcrumbs are created equal, consider the sodium content before adding extra salt. I substituted italian seasoning for the mint (1/2 -1 tsp)
Apr 27, 2011
This is an excellent and healthy recipe! We halved it b/c there are only 2 of us, did not use the mint, and baked them at 350 b/c it was too windy to grill. I will absolutely be making these again soon!
Jul 24, 2010
Loved this recipe. I did omit the garlic as we are not fond of garlic. The mint added just an extra hint of flavor. This did take some time to assemble but my husband said it was worth MY effort. I put the zucchini in a dispoable foil pan on my gas grill.
Jul 21, 2010
I have made this recipe twice. The first time I followed the recipe except I omitted the mint. It was very easy and very good. The second time, I put the Parmesan cheese in place of the mozzarella while cooking. After stuffing the zucchini, I topped it with slices of tomato, sprinkled a bit of oregano on the tomatoes and the mozzarella cheese. This was our family's favorite!!
Jul 20, 2010
Delicious! I did not add mint, but added extra garlic and used cheddar cheese rather than mozzarella.
May 18, 2010
My party guests were apprensive, but one bite and it was raves and complements, on how delious this was. My cookouts will now be having a healtly veggie.
Oct 28, 2009
I, loved them and two zucchinis made us another side for our meal the next evening. I, thought they were very good.
Sep 2, 2008
These are very good- an excellent side dish with grilled fish. I use cheddar instead of mozzarella. Great recipe!